- Green Spot
- Yellow Spot
- Red Spot
- Blue Spot
In the 1800s, Mitchell & Son was the place to go for tea, confectioneries and cakes on Grafton Street in the heart of Dublin. Their reputation even earned them royal warrants and the title of “Confectioner to Her Majesty.” The family business began as a confectionery and bakery in 1805, taking a cheeky turn later in the century into wine importing and finally whiskey bonding in 1887. Their imported fortified wine casks were to become the perfect vessels to mature the pot still Irish whiskey of our Spot whiskeys.
In 1887, the entrepreneurial Mitchell family expanded into the whiskey bonding business, whereby they sent empty wine, sherry and port casks via horse and cart to the local Jameson Distillery up on Bow Street. These were then filled and returned to the Mitchell’s cellar warehouse underneath Fitzwilliam Lane. There, beneath cobbled streets, the whiskeys matured for many years until they were ready to be bottled and sold to those in the know
The Mitchells matured their whiskey in casks under the streets of Dublin in their network of underground cellars. When their fortified wine casks were filled exclusively with Jameson spirit from the old Bow St. Distillery, they were marked with a daub or ‘spot’ of paint which identified how long the barrels would be matured for. Blue for 7 years, Green for 10 years, Yellow for 12 years and Red for 15 years—hence the name Spot Whiskey.